Misconceptions About Teaching (II)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Was tempted to blog on some personal progress and a side track to how I did a short personality analysis after reading ah quan's blog....but nah....let's get back to what this blog is about.


It was after exams, a girl from my class handed me some science information.




Huh? Whats this?



On the second day, she handed me a second stack....


What is she trying to do???


More science information....


Finally on the last day, she gave me a card telling me that she collected all those information so that I can use them for next year and not be so tired trying to prepare all those teaching resources...when she saw me in the canteen, she even kept reminding me to rest well during the hols..


*touched*


Some other cards...




Good... the moral stories are working! haha



Very sweet of her ...actually I was also the teacher who taught her when she got bad results in SA1....haha sweet kid




So kids nowadays are not really that ungrateful and teaching is not that a thankless job.



Sometimes, people might think....of course, you are teaching little children, wait till you teach the older ones....



Actually , I have older kids who see me outside and came down from afar to walk and talk with me even though I'm no longer teaching them...



Then there are others who think that , kids eventually forget their primary school teachers, its the secondary ones that make the impact.



Actually , my CT has a student who visit her every year...only exception was last year because he was serving his NS but he asked his mother to send her a cake on his behalf...



I think I did wonder whether I should have applied to teach secondary school kids but I think kids need a good teacher at every stage of their lives. Primary school teachers to build up a good foundation for their characters and Secondary school teachers to guide them during the turbulent years.




But really, if the parents refuse to cooperate, there's little we can do. We need parents to discipline the kids and teach them how to respect their teachers. Similarly, parents need the teachers to teach the kids how to respect their parents.




I once met a vice principal in China who told me that some parents in the villagers showed respect to teachers simply because the teachers are more educated than them.




True respect doesn't come from the fact that the person is more educated, have more moolah to flaunt or a to die for face or physique. The world would be in big trouble if it functions in this way...you don't want your kids to respect you simple because you have the moolah do you?

0 comments: