Heroes (I)

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Yeah yeah the olympic fever is over,
but what to do, I'm slow and procrastinating.


Voting time, who's your favourite tennis player
who represented Singapore?
Li Jia Wei, the beautiful captain,
the spunky newbie Feng Tian Wei or Wang Yue Gu?
'
'
'
'
'
'
'



I would say that Wang is a hero in her own right.

Picture taken from http://www.ssc.gov.sg/publish/teamsingapore/en/games/Olympics/Beijing2008/beijing_2008/our_athletes.detail.htmlathleteID=1632
27th September 2008 1309 Team Singapore-Our Athletes

(not that I think quoting sources is not important

but I'm having troubles with the alignment when I put them in large font)

Straight after after her double match with team captain Li

against Kim Kyung Ah and Park Mi Young, she went up against Dang Ye Seo.

From the start, Dang was leading.

Pardon my poor memory but I remembered Dang was leading 7-0 at one point.

Wang didn't give up and managed to catch up with Dang.

Even though she eventually lost to Dang, 8-11, 12-14, 9-11, her perseverance won me over.

Imagine losing by 7 points consecutively .

Instead of losing to frustration and fumbling,

she still managed to stay calm,

gaining one point at a time to catch up.

Even when Dang was at game point,

she did not gave her opponent an easy time as well,

twarting Dang's many attempts at game points,

for three consecutive matches!

Mentally strong and

determined in face of unfavourable circumstances,

that's what I call a true athlete, champion and hero.

0 comments: